Monday, June 23, 2008

small successes

Well we had about (according to Randy who was doing sound) 100 people through the door at Hot Knees Thursday night.

And we made 5 bucks each.

One small barrier we are overcoming in being DJs is people not quite taking us seriously.

One guy who would like to DJ as well is not quite understand that Bri and I DJ together, no one else. Anyone else who would like to DJ can do whatever they want when we don't DJ. Don't like what we are doing? Ask Randy to DJ and get a night, I say.

But I also have friends requesting songs. Which is cool. I like taking requests. But as stated prior, it has to be reasonable. There is a difference between a friend DJing a party and a friend DJing at a DJ set. I am sure we don't seem entirely professional yet due to lack of programs/computers/etc but I want to get that all worked out by the fall. In the meantime, I don't want people thinking "Hey it's just Glenna and Bri, they'll play this for me." Because...well...we won't. Summer/friend or not, I'd like to be taken seriously. This is something I actually want to do and keep doing. I want to keep this up in Kent so that when I leave people in Kent still have it. I want to take what I have learned with me (hopefully to Chicago) so that I can be a DJ in a big city.

When I was in Chicago I think Aba and I yelled at the DJ to play Daft Punk, which fit because well, it's Daft Punk and he had already played some earlier. I don't want to seem like a douche but when 10 pm (or 11 pm rather) rolls around, I am working. Albeit it is a fun amazing job I barely get paid for, but I want to do it as best I can, which means pleasing the crowd. And suffice to say that means music pandering. Going for what 50 people would like as opposed to just 10.

That isn't too much to ask for, I don't think.

No comments: