Tuesday, June 17, 2008

flying high

In eighth grade/summer proceeding/ninth grade I was a mess: I went from the Beatles to chick rock (Tori et Garbage, etc) to POP to Incubus and Radiohead all in the span of two years. Only the Radiohead and even yes, Incubus managed to stick with me as I went into my next music phase after pop, techno/electronica. And I mean pop: NSync, Backstreet Boys, Jessica Simpson, 98 Degrees...I had it all. I think it was a high school thing - starting hs, I wanted to fit in I guess.

But electronic music was pulling at me, with influences like Kid A coming out in 9th grade, Air's Moon Safari way before that (98? 99?), and Groove Armada's odd debut. One song that surprisingly was one of the strong converters to the electronic genre was not that far removed from pop itself, the producer making the radio with hits like Praise You and Weapon of Choice. Yes, I bought Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars by Fatboy Slim and I had a mixed reaction, but Bird of Prey is what really did it for me.

And somehow it still captivates me.

No comments: